201 Saline Street
Before the Civil War both black and white residents worshipped in the Methodist church standing at the corner of Market and Fourth, but when the war caused a split between Northern and Southern sympathizers, most white members affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal South. In 1866 black Mehodist established their own church - Methodist Episcopal North - on land purchased from Thomas Skackelford. One of the most prominent supporters of the new church was Alexander Lewis, a local black man who, after purchasing his own freedom, became a successful entrpreneur and one of the wealthiest men in the community, Lewis bought and donated to the chruch the two plots of land on either side of the building. After he died in 1865, the church was renamed Lewis Chapel in his honor.
When the church outgrew its first building, a huge brick structure was built on the same site. In 1958, a fire started on the roof. Thanks to a warning from someone passing outside, no one was injured, but the church and all it's records were destroyed.
The current building was erected in 1962.